And here we go with our second post in the “catch up with D2L monthly update changes” series: June
So, for June we saw the following changes:
Grades – automatically set the grade item score based on a rubric score
And another great change to the Rubrics tool – you can now use Rubrics you’ve attached to Grade Items to automatically add grades to your gradebook! No more doubling up on effort.
Here’s how it works:
- Go to the grading area for the Grade Item you’ve attached your rubric to
- Click Assessment for each student in turn
- Score your rubric and click Save and Record . You will see the Grade column updated for the student.
- When you are finished grading the Grade Item, click Save and Close.
Groups – automatic creation of discussion topics
This may not apply to everyone, but now if you add a group (in the Groups tool) to a Group Category due to new students enrolling in the course, a discussion topic is automatically set up for that new group (if you have set up discussion topics for your Group initially). Just a nice feature so you don’t have to remember to do this manually!
Groups – descriptive naming for discussion topics
A small change, and maybe not something you’d notice, but now when you create a group with discussion forums, the forums contain the name of the Group Category + “Group #”, meaning that the forums will be named for the Group Category with the Group’s number.
Here’s what it looks like:
- Create your Group Category, making sure to Set up discussion areas. Click Save.
- Set up the Forum for your Discussion areas. Click Create and Next.
- Click Done.
- Now, go to the Discussions Tool and find the Forum you created. Note that the Topic Titles contain the title of your Group Category, with the Group #.
Overall, little changes, but all enhancing the D2L experience.